This county is available for adoption. If you are interested in becoming the County Coordinator for
or any other Idaho county. Contact the State Coordinator.
Or visit our "Volunteer" page for detailed information on how to become a County Coordinator.
Welcome to Madison County!
Principal towns are Rexburg (county seat) and Sugar City.
Madison County was established in 1913. It was named for James Madison, the fourth president of the United States. It was created from Fremont County, with whose history it is associated. First settlers in the county were Mormons from Utah, who built the first irrigation system and the farms. Water was diverted from the North Fork of the Snake River, the Teton River, and the main Snake River. Among the cities and their dates of founding are Rexburg (1883), Salem and Lyman (1884), Archer (1885) and Thornton (1887). Ricks College was founded in 1888 as the Bannock State Academy. The name was changed to Ricks in 1903. The name has since been changed to Brigham Young University-Idaho. Flooding caused by the collapse of the Teton Dam in 1976 did millions of dollars in damage to the county.
* * * 1940 Census * * *
1940 census page images at National Archives
1940 enumeration district maps - Once there select the "State", and go to "County" and then click on "Get ED Map Images" and you will get the entire county.
Updated 1 September 2013
Copyright © 2009 - The GenWeb Team - All Rights Reserved.
All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use or distribution, without the consent of the author of these pages is prohibited. All images used on these pages were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages do so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.